Thursday 4 July 2013

I heart my dry goods shelves - Pantry do over

I have spent about 10 mins re-organising my dry goods shelves in the pantry.

The first thing I did was fix up the space that used to be a wrap dispenser (foil and/or cling wrap). I keep things in here that I use often or don't fit in the shelves properly elsewhere. I keep mustard and curry powder, a packet of matches and some kitchen labels (which I put on containers of leftovers and find them a new home in the freezer). My labels came from the $2 shop and they were $2 they are on a pad and I use them a lot!

Last night I cooked too much boiled rice, and instead of throwing it out or letting it sit in the fridge until it got thrown out. I put in into a plastic container, with a label and put it in the freezer for use another time.

On the bottom shelf I have all my food colourings. This way I'm never milling in the cake aisle at the supermarket wondering if I have one colour or another. I always know what I've got because I look at them every day!
 
What do you think of my use of this space?

Next, I started with an empty shelf, so I took everything out and placed it on my kitchen bench. 


As you can see, the shelves are quite narrow and deep, so you can fit a lot in... but you can't see what you've got very well. I used Decor plastic containers to solve the problem on this shelf.


The larger box is 8.5L and the smaller is 5.5L. The larger one I got from Big W in the christmas sales (and I can't remember how much I paid - sorry!). I have put cake mixes, icing sugar and dry biscuits that I use to make slices and the bases for cheesecakes. The smaller one I got from Coles and I paid half price. DO NOT pay full price for these containers!! Don't pay 20%, 30% or 40% off, wait it out until they come up for sale in the weekly specials at 50% off, it WILL happen! When I see these for sale at 50% off I buy up! Anyways, in the smaller one I keep boxes of jelly and sachets of shakes and pudding mix.

I've put the handles facing the front so I can easily pull them out when I need them. 



The next two containers are also the Decor 5.5L ones with the blue handle. In one I keep more baking ingredients (things I use in my slices or cakes). In the other I keep nuts and dried fruit, which could be classified as 'baking ingredients' but I actually eat these either on their own or in salads. Crasins and slivered almonds.... have you tried it?? They are delish!


Look how easy it is to just pull one container out!



Next I put my Quick Oats in. I love having these a few times a week for breakfast, so I need them within easy reach. 



The box slides nicely into place. 



Infront of my quick oats bag, I'm going to put my box of Ziploc bags. I got these from Costco. I heart my Ziploc bags and I especially heart Costco!



Slides nicely into place! The last thing I put into this shelf was a box of Lindt chocolates that I bought on sale at Coles (half price). I always like to buy these when they are reasonably priced. They come in handy when there is an unexpected birthday or thank you present to be given. I want to know they are there, but I don't want to have them presented to me so nicely that I want to eat them!

Phew.... and that's just one shelf! I'll just take photos of the rest and put them into another post! Hope you've enjoyed reading!

Love xx


No comments:

Post a Comment